They awoke to the smell of smoke, according to the fire chief

An early morning fire late last week left residents without a place to stay, at least temporarily, according to Delavan Fire Department officials.

On Aug. 29, the City of Delavan Fire Department responded to a report of a basement fire at 408 S. Main St. The residents of that home were sleeping at the time and woke up to the smell of smoke, according to a press release from Delavan Fire Chief Tim O’Neill.

“When the fire department arrived, they discovered heavy to moderate smoke on the first floor and the basement was on fire,” it states.

The basement reportedly sustained heavy damage as a result of the fire, according to the release.

“It was determined that the fire started near the main electrical panel located in the basement,” the release states.

Both the Town of Delavan and Darien fire departments assisted, with firefighters on scene for more than two hours, according to the release.

The residents were displaced by the fire, the release states.

 
 

No comments

Be the first one to leave a comment.

Post a Comment