Elkhorn’s Kyle Mountford (2) takes off with the ball during last week’s Southern Lakes Conference game at Waterford. The Elks pushed the Wolverines, but dropped a 20-13 decision. (photo by Jennifer Eisenbart)

By Chris Bennett


It might be a stretch to say Elkhorn Area High School football coach Tom Lee is pleased after his team’s 20-13 loss Friday in a Southern Lakes Conference game against the Wolverines at Waterford.

But this much is certain – Lee took heart of the Elks’ performance against an opponent rumored to be one of the best in the conference.

“We played very well,” Lee said. “I think all of them played the way they’re capable of playing.”

The Elks now stand at 1-3 overall and 1-2 in the SLC. Waterford is 3-1 overall, 3-0 in the SLC and sits atop the conference standings.

The Elks were in the game “until the final drive,” according to Lee.

Elkhorn’s Logan Mohr scored on a three-yard touchdown pass from Arik Anderson with roughly three minutes left in the third quarter to bring the Elks within seven points of the lead at 20-13.

Lee said the Elks recovered their own onside kick and possessed the ball at midfield.

On the Elks’ first play Lee said an Elk receiver broke open on the sideline. A Waterford defender made a play on the ball and a Wolverine linebacker intercepted the pass to bring the drive and game to a close.

Still, Lee’s enthusiasm over the play of his team is obvious.

“It was a huge game for us,” Lee said. “For us to say we were able to play at this high a level … we were thrown into the fire, so to speak, against the No. 1 team in the conference and did very well.”

The Elks finished with five turnovers. Lee said the Elks struggled to establish their running game and opted for a passing offense led by Anderson, who finished with 209 yards passing and two touchdowns. Elkhorn rushed for just 40 yards.

Anderson also finished with two interceptions. The Elks also lost two fumbles and suffered a muffed punt. As stated above, Lee attributed part of the Elks turnover troubles to running something of an unfamiliar offense.

He also pointed out that the Wolverines hit Anderson’s arm on each of his interceptions.

Waterford’s Alex Thomaschek opened the scoring in the first quarter on a 17-yard touchdown run. The score stood at 6-0 in favor of Waterford at halftime.

Thomaschek scored again in the third quarter on a 13-yard run and also rushed for a two-point conversion to put Waterford up 14-0.

Elkhorn got on the board later in the third quarter when Anderson passed to Drew Bryson for a 55-yard score. The extra point failed and Elkhorn trailed 14-6.

Thomaschek scored another touchdown on a 3-yard run in the third quarter and the Wolverines led 20-6.

Anderson hit Mohr for a 3-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter to finish the scoring. Offensively Waterford rushed for 374 yards and the Elks passed for 209, all by Anderson.

Despite the outcome, Lee is still buoyed by his team’s play.

“I’m ecstatic,” Lee said. “I really am. The kids are excited. The kids found out we can play with some pretty tough opponents.”

The Elks play Friday at Union Grove. The Broncos lost 48-14 last week at Wilmot and are winless through their first four games, three of which are in the SLC.

“I think it’s a very capable game for us to win,” Lee said. “If we can play at the level we did last week we will have success.”

If the Elks hope to advance to the WIAA Division 2 playoffs they need to win three of their four remaining games, assuring them a winning record in the SLC.

In other action last week in the SLC, Burlington beat Westosha Central 35-14 and Badger beat Delavan-Darien 44-0.

In the remaining SLC games this Friday, Delavan-Darien plays at Burlington and Wilmot plays at Badger. Waterford plays against the Falcons at Westosha Central.



No comments

Be the first one to leave a comment.

Post a Comment